Monday, November 10, 2014

I Am Thankful for God's Blessings

K-LOVE's Digging Deeper
 
 
 
 
 
DIGGING DEEPER
 
KLOVE
 
 
 
 
11/10/2014
 
I am Thankful for God's Blessings
 
 
 
Banner
 
 
Building429 shares about what they're thankful for
 
Band Building 429 shares what they're
thankful for.
 
It’s hard enough for parents to avoid impulse shopping, so how can they expect to teach their kids the importance of patience?

That’s an issue Rachel Cruze talks about in Smart Money Smart Kids, the New York Times #1 best seller she co-authored with her dad, Dave Ramsey.
Patience Is a Virtue . . .
Really One of the best ways to avoid a bad purchase is to simply wait overnight.
 
Regardless of how young or old you are, waiting overnight before making a big purchase completely changes the buying decision. That was the rule in our house growing up-even for my parents. Dad's a spender. So early on, Mom and Dad agreed that neither one of them would spend $300 or more without first talking to each other about the purchase and waiting at least overnight so they could sleep on it. I can't tell you how many things Dad didn't buy because they didn't seem as important the next morning.

I remember the day Mom suggested this delay technique to me. I was thirteen years old, and Mom and I were out shopping. I saw a shirt that I really liked, but I kept going back and forth on the decision. I’d look at it, hold it up and look in the mirror, then put it back down. This went on for a little while, but I ended up deciding to buy it (with my own hard-earned money, of course). My mom watched all this happen, and she strongly encouraged me to put the shirt on hold overnight so I could think about it some more. I said something like, “But, Mom, I really like it. If I leave it here, someone else will buy it!”
 
 
Double Coma
 
Patience Is a Virtue
 
Double Coma
 
My mom is really wise about this stuff, and she finally convinced me to leave it with the sales clerk—after I made the salesperson promise three separate times that the shirt would still be there waiting for me the next day. Can you guess what happened? By the time we got home, I had decided that I didn’t really want the shirt after all. The next day, I had forgotten all about it. I never went back to get it from the sales clerk who swore she’d hold it for me. It might still be sitting behind a counter somewhere with my name on it.

Fast-forward several years to my junior year of college, when I was in a similar situation. Only this time, Mom was two hundred miles away and I was on my own. I was in a store and saw a cardigan that I fell in love with; however, it had a $120 price tag, which definitely made it a major purchase for me. I remembered what Mom and Dad taught me about waiting overnight, so that’s what I did. The next day, I decided that I really did want it, so I went back and bought it. I loved it so much that I wore it regularly for the next five years. That was definitely a good purchase for me.

Show your kids that waiting overnight takes the pressure off. It gives you permission to leave the store without the item, and once you leave the store, it’s often as though a fog lifts from your mind and you can think clearly again. If you wake up the next day and it still feels like a good purchase (and you can afford it), then it’s probably a good purchase for you. Go for it, and enjoy it!
 
 
 
By
Dave Ramsey's daughter, Rachel Cruz.
 
Vote on the K-LOVE Fan Awards
 
 
Banner
 
K-LOVE - 5700 West Oaks Blvd. Rocklin, CA 95765 - (800) 525-LOVE (5683)
 
 
FACEBOOK
 
 
TWITTER
 
 
YOUTUBE
 
 
 

We hope you found this message to be useful. This email was sent as part of your membership at Educational Media Foundation, the parent company of K-LOVE Radio.
Your email address is not sold to or shared with a third party.
We sometimes use third parties to fulfill services for us, like email sending or music survey tests. In those cases they will have access to your information for the strict purpose of fulfilling their tasks.
5700 West Oaks Blvd., Rocklin, CA 95765
This email was sent to you at: lisatim93.labellabling@blogger.com
Click here if you wish to Unsubscribe or click here to Edit your profile.
 

Click here to forward to a friend

No comments:

 

count website hit
Overstock.com Coupon